Chris went back to work this week for the first time since B was taken to the hospital. I am so thankful that he was able to stay in New Orleans with me the entire time we were there, I can't imagine how one parent could go through that alone. There were days where he had to drag me out of bed or I wouldn't have gotten up. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful father for our children. He sat in the ICU with me day and night, and once we got back to the local hospital, he alternated nights with me so that I could spend time at home with Hailey, Liam and Finn.
Things are slowly working their way into a semblance of normal. While Britta still has multiple doctors appointments each week and is taking six different medicines several times a day, we are so glad to have her home. It is total chaos here most times, but we'll get used to the new routines soon enough!
B now weighs 7lbs 9oz (as of Monday). She has had a cold this week, we were told that we need to bring her in for pretty much every little sniffle as her risk for RSV is through the roof, as with all babies with Congenital Heart Defects and the fact that she was born at 36 weeks. They tested her for RSV and did a chest x-ray and both came back negative. Not to say that when she goes to the doc tomorrow afternoon they won't be positive, but for now, she is home with inhalers and we are crossing our fingers she is much better soon! Even though it is late in the RSV season, she will start Synagis for RSV soon. We just really, really need to keep this peanut well!
We get a lot of comments about how she is "so big!" and a "normal" size baby. (and even some well meaning people telling us how "fat" she is) Yes, she is looking great, and is the size of an average newborn now. But she is also 2 1/2 months old. So, 7 lbs 9 oz is not 'fat' for her age, or really 'normal'. She still has a lot of catching up to do!

Thanks for all of the continued support and love!
xx,
S-
I get it...well said! The blog is perfect and a great source for well-wishers to follow Britta's progress.
ReplyDeleteI hope she's feeling better soon and that it truly is not RSV. Do you have a home nurse that comes to help at all?
I hope she feels better soon! I get what you are saying, I don't put my kids online either. I did have a pic on my blog linking to Cupid's website for donations but I took it down. I totally understand. ;0)
ReplyDeleteYou're so sweet, Jenny. It's more of wanting to know what's circulating, you know? I feel weird when someone tells me they saw her pics somewhere and I had no idea. I am probably being a huge brat, I know!! :)
DeleteHey, Steph! I don't see the request you mentioned, but I have taken Britta's photo off my status update anyway. I understand if you don't want her photo all over the place. Totally understand. I just got carried away in my excitement, I guess. Love you!
ReplyDeleteShe's so adorable!!! Thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteShe looks fantastic, and I wish her all the health. Even though we only "know" each other because we've traveled in some of the same writers' circles online, I have sent many good wishes for your little one, you, and your family.
ReplyDeleteI've never really told you what all my little B went through--and it is a drop in the ocean compared to your B--but I can relate on the every sniffle requiring a trip to the doctor. We had our weeks where we were in hospitals and doctor's offices more days than we weren't. It is taxing on the parents, on the other children, and the baby really doesn't know any different but for that they're being poked yet again. We did the RSV test and chest x-ray run earlier this week (negative, too), and he's still doing breathing treatments. Eventually, and this sounds bizarre, you get used to it. You adapt to going to the doctor so frequently. You adapt to having medicines as part of the daily routine. You get some teasing by the doctor's staff about having to get a parking spot with your name on it or how your insurance pays for an examining room's redecoration. A new normal indeed.