Monday, January 16, 2012

Baby Steps

It's been two weeks now since I brought Britta to the hospital to be admitted for what we thought was Pyloric Stenosis. In some ways, it feels like a life time ago. In others, it feels like time has stood completely still. We've stood patiently by her bedside, jumping every time an alarm went off, wondering what it would mean for her recovery.
She had a little setback yesterday. Her heart rate was too low and her rhythm wasn't right. So, they hooked her up to a pacemaker. They inserted the wires when she had her surgery as a precaution, "just in case," and hadn't had to use them until now. They (WE) are hoping it is just temporary until her heart can further stabilize and learn the correct rhythm. If not, we will deal with it.
It is hard as a total control freak when it comes to my children to be at a place where I have zero control over anything to do with them. There is not really anything that I can do to help Britta right now, other than trust the doctors and their skills and wisdom. I am not able to comfort Hailey when she has a bad day at school, I can't help Liam sort his LEGO's, I can't watch Finny's favorite Dora episode with him. I am forced to stand by and put my faith in others to do all of those things. It's really, really difficult for me.
Today, though, we had a surprise gift. When Chris and I came back from lunch, we were greeted with this amazing sight:
NO tubes down her throat. No machine breathing for her. For the first time in two weeks, my sweet Britta-Cakes was/is breathing on her own!
I am continually amazed by her strength and fight and so, so grateful she is still with us and I am able to call her mine!
So while some days are frustrating, or the set backs hard to take, I will try to remember how far she has come, and how frighteningly close we came to losing our girl, and be thankful she didn't allow that to happen.

10 comments:

  1. Stephanie,
    I am a babycenter Feb '03 mama and was directed to your blog through others on fb. My prayers are with sweet Britta and your whole family. I cannot imagine being apart from my other children while going through something like this. Hoping you are all reunited before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the sweetest pic I've ever seen. <3 little Britta!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Steph. I love the picture. Sweet, sweet baby girl. She's such a little fighter and she's going to keep on pushing her way through this. I'm all teary-eyed looking at those pretty eyes of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so very strong. I am amazed by your strength every day. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this pic!!!She has the best eyes ever!!! We are still praying for your lil fighter!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs! She's beautiful, and she looks so strong. I'm happy she's doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. God bless Britta. Keep Mom and Dad strong. Your Query Tracker family is praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's beautiful. Sadly, I know what it's like to have a child in the NICU with a congenital heart defect. I hope your story ends up like mine. :)
    MeddyK from QT (Lydia)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a gorgeous little girl. My hopes and prayers are with you and your family. May the Lord bless you and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at her go...she is one amazing baby!

    ReplyDelete