Monday, January 30, 2012

Dear Liam...

I know this is supposed to be a blog devoted to your tiniest sibling, but I don't want you to doubt for a second that you are JUST as important to your dad and I as she, Finn and Hailey are. Especially today, on your ninth birthday.

When you were a baby, your dad worked nights. You were very, very "high maintenance" and since I had to be at work early in the morning, I probably gave into what you wanted more than I *should* have, or what most people thought I should have. Which meant, even though you had a perfectly good crib in your own room, you slept with me every night, you ate what you wanted, you stayed up till hours that were well past acceptable for a toddler. I said it was because it was "easier." And it was, but I knew just as well as everyone else that if I put my foot down with you, you'd eventually learn what a proper bed time was, or you had to sleep in your own bed. The truth is, I just wanted you around. I wanted you with me all of the time. I love your sisters and your brother just as much, but you and I have always had a special bond. You've grown from that finicky little baby, to not only one of the coolest kids I've ever known, but one of the coolest PEOPLE, period. You have one of the best hearts I have ever known. Your sisters and brother could not ask for a better brother in you.

To this day, you stay up later than everyone else in the house and watch tv with me downstairs. You never fail to ask if you can get me anything when you get up. You make me laugh harder than anyone I know. You tear at my heart when you are sad. You inspire me with your imagination. You teach me new things everyday.

You, Liam, are brilliant beyond words.

I hope you know how important you are to me (us). How much we wish that we were there with you today. That I could make you your special cake. I promise to bake you one when we are able to come home.

Happy Ninth Birthday, my sweet boy.
I love you.
Mama


7 comments:

  1. Sweet Liam, I have so missed being there to watch you grow up, but I remember how overwhelmed I was the first time I saw you. We were visiting and I was sitting in church singing when your mom carried you in and sat behind me. I turned around and saw your sweet little face, and I just started crying happy tears to finally see you. I remember when you were two and held up a lump of play-doh (or at least that's what it looked like to me), and said, "Cloud." That's when I knew there were very amazing things going on in that special mind of yours. We don't get to visit often, but each time we do, I realize what a very special young man you are. I am so thankful to be your aunt. I love you! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Stephanie this is so beautiful. I hope you guys get to celebrate soon. And Liam is super cute! Happy Birthday Liam!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sniff*
    That was really, really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph, you are such a great mom and so amazing with words. I hope you guys don't have to wait long to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you had a wonderful birthday, Liam! All those pictures were just precious. What a sweet, smart, handsome young man.

    ReplyDelete