We weren't able to hold her close, but we can physically hold her up over the bed for a few seconds here and there which is still such an amazing gift. I teared up just doing that.

This morning when we went to see her, they said that the OT had already been by and Britta did excellent feeding. She took 15cc's and rooted and sucked perfectly. Then, she threw every bit of it back up.
sigh.
They hoped that it was because her belly was just too full from the continuous feeds from the feeding tube, so they turned off the tube an hour or so before her afternoon feeding at 3pm. She took another 15cc's perfectly. She cried each time the OT would take the bottle away from her and again rooted and sucked, but then threw it all back up again.
Her spirits were up. She does not appear to be in any pain or discomfort. There is no gagging or coughing prior to her vomiting, it just comes on suddenly and she doesn't stop until every bit is up.
To say this is frustrating is an understatement. They have mentioned about a half a dozen reasons for the vomiting, but so far, have not done anything to narrow down what it *actually* might be. This is the first time I've had any sort of frustration toward the care she has received since being here, and I'm trying really hard to stay positive and trust that they know what is best. But the mom in me says, "yank the tube out and try, just TRY to feed her from a bottle without the tube in..."
We'll see what tomorrow brings... As you can see from this picture below, though, she looks good! (This was taken about 10 minutes after her throwing up. She is not phased by it at all.) :)

Such a doll baby. <3 I had to press the docs to put Justin on reflux meds when he was in the NICU- he was having breathing/heart issues after each feed but nothing came up, so they were hesitant. The nurse was on my side saying she could time it like clockwork. They finally put him on Zantac as well as Reglan (I really only wanted the Zantac) and he did so much better. If your mommy gut is thinking reflux- push for the Zantac since it has virtually no side effects and won't harm her. That must be so frustrating to sit back and hear all the possibilities yet no one is moving to do anything differently. Hang in there xoxo
ReplyDeleteFinn has terrible reflux as well. They put him on zantac and it helped a ton. I think theor reluctance is because sometimes, its hours and hours after eating that she vomits so they arent sure its food related. But like you said, zantac is so safe, it cant really hurt to at least try! Thanks for all of the support, mama!
DeleteContinued prayers for your family and Britta. I know you must be so happy to see her awake and be able to hold her, even if it is not snuggly close. I hope that they are able to get to the root of her feeding issues soon. That girl needs to be at home with her family! ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteOh, what a little peanut. Britta is my thoughts and prayers, Steph.
ReplyDeleteShe is beautiful. I continue to pray for her recovery ...
ReplyDeleteOh, I am praying so hard over here. My heart goes out to your entire family. What a beautiful, beautiful girl.
ReplyDeleteShe is such a doll....look at those beautiful eyes.
ReplyDelete